6/13/2007

because it takes stamina

From an interview with author Terry Tempest Williams:
“Most of the day I am doing nothing,” she confessed of her writing process. “I am waiting. Writing is a natural process, like evaporation, we might not see it going on but it is happening.” As a writer she keeps a candle lit in her workspace, a sacred space she says, one that is spiritual. She also has a bowl of water nearby, in the writing room, because even if she is not writing anything, it is good to know that there is still evaporation - that something is happening in the room. “Writing is saying the things you don’t want to say, and this takes stamina.”

Today I am writing much. Finishing up an encyclopedia article and preparing tomorrow's Disability Blog Carnival (which I'm hosting. yippee!). Perhaps I should light a candle...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another thought-provoking quote, Jana. Let us know if the candle "works" for you =)

Off to ponder my own stamina...